[Peace-discuss] [UCIMC-Tech] flaky peace/peace-discuss at anti-war.net -- "User unknown in virtual alias table" errors

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 16 19:52:37 CST 2010

I see -- so the problem was that some people were writing to
    peace/peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
	(which has continued to work and still does)

while others including me were writing to
    peace/peace-discuss at anti-war.net
	(which stopped working for a while, but should now be fixed).

If this message to peace-discuss at anti-war.net arrives then I'll be happy.

Thank you for the explanation and the fix!

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 07:40:20PM -0600, Josh King wrote:

> Hi Stuart,
>
> I'm sorry about the problem (which has just been corrected), please bear
> with my long explanation below:
>
> All of the lists and other primary mail functionality were recently
> migrated to a new server in response to significant issues with and
> increasing instability in the old mailserver. The configuration has been
> cleaned up significantly, but this introduces some major differences:
>
> The "correct" address for all lists has always been
> <listname>@lists.chambana.net, but the old mailserver handled domains in
> a very simplistic way, which is to say not at all. Thus, for instance,
> peace at lists.chambana.net was the same as peace at anti-war.net, but it was
> also the same as peace at ucimc.org, peace at thebikeproject.org,
> peace at acornactivemedia.com, etc. This obviously had some problems beyond
> mere consistency. On the old server, it would have been impossible to
> have donate at anti-war.net and donate at thebikeproject.org go to two
> different accounts, or info at ucimc.org and info at chambana.net. Also,
> someone who had the account jim at ucimc.org could also send and receive
> mail as jim at anti-war.net or jim at acornactivemedia.com, whether or not
> they belonged to those groups. We obviously don't want users to be able
> to represent themselves as an authorized agent of an organization to
> which they do not belong.
>
> The new system is much more strict: every local user has an account
> <username>@mail.chambana.net and every list is
> <listname>@lists.chambana.net, and everything else is an alias to either
> a local account, a list, or a remote account (like a gmail.com or
> illinois.edu account). We've tried to make sure that every local account
> and remote account has at least an @chambana.net and @ucimc.org alias,
> with others if we knew about them. However, there are a number of
> instances where we didn't know exactly which aliases were being used and
> which weren't, and I've been adding those as we go by keeping an eye on
> the logs and mailqueue when I can, contacting people individually, and
> keeping the server on a debug mode where it keeps a lot of mail queued
> when there's an error when otherwise it would be dropped. In particular,
> it turns out a lot of people access the same lists through a ton of
> different aliases (which often don't even resemble the actual name of
> the list). Unfortunately, we can't just alias everything to everything
> else, as we'd be running into the same problems that the new server is
> trying to solve. Also, since the new system is so much more specific, if
> we wanted to alias jim@<everydomain> to jim at mail.chambana.net, we would
> need a line for each domain, expanding the same alias to up to dozens of
> lines. We have several hundred lines of aliases programmed in to try and
> break as little backwards compatibility as possible, but it's inevitable
> [...]

believed to be clean.