[Peace-discuss] Mortenson and Moyer on PBS

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 00:05:22 CST 2010

Mort et al,
I just watched the program on my computer and had a totally different reaction than yours. I didn's see any inconsistencies in Mortenson's answers: It's clear (at least to me) that he doesn't see any point to the war, that he doesn't want/expect/envision a western style democracy in Afghanistan -- he just wants enuff peace on Afghan terms so that he can continue his work -- building schools -- which will bring about a better and more peaceful Afghanistan/Pakistan. It's also clear to me that Mortenson does not support a military presence there. He repeatedly criticised US behavior -- Obama's closed door meetings, civilian deaths leading to worsened relations between The US and Afghanistan ... and he also pointed out that no country has ever won a war against the Afghans.. He mentioned how many schools could be built w/ what the US spends on just one soldier for just one year.
Is Mortenson a peace activist, or any other kind of activist, for that matter? No, that's not his style or focus... but from what I already knew about him and what I heard on Moyers' just now, he's a decent man on a mission to make things better for Afghans (thru building schools and providing education, esp for girls) working w/in the reality of Afghanistan -- tribes, Taliban and all... And he's also doing his best (when prevailed upon to do so) to broaden the minds and soften the hearts of those hell bent on an immoral and impossible military solution (where the US has no right to be in the first  place).

I hope the rest of you on this list will watch the show and read Mortenson's book(s)... and that those who've reacted negatively will watch the broadcast again and come away with a more positive outlook.
Here's the link www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/01152010/watch2.html
 --Jenifer