[Peace-discuss] [UCIMC-Tech] flaky peace/peace-discuss at anti-war.net -- "User unknown in virtual alias table" errors

Josh King josh at ucimc.org
Sat Jan 16 19:40:20 CST 2010

Hi Stuart,

I'm sorry about the problem (which has just been corrected), please bear
with my long explanation below:

All of the lists and other primary mail functionality were recently
migrated to a new server in response to significant issues with and
increasing instability in the old mailserver. The configuration has been
cleaned up significantly, but this introduces some major differences:

The "correct" address for all lists has always been
<listname>@lists.chambana.net, but the old mailserver handled domains in
a very simplistic way, which is to say not at all. Thus, for instance,
peace at lists.chambana.net was the same as peace at anti-war.net, but it was
also the same as peace at ucimc.org, peace at thebikeproject.org,
peace at acornactivemedia.com, etc. This obviously had some problems beyond
mere consistency. On the old server, it would have been impossible to
have donate at anti-war.net and donate at thebikeproject.org go to two
different accounts, or info at ucimc.org and info at chambana.net. Also,
someone who had the account jim at ucimc.org could also send and receive
mail as jim at anti-war.net or jim at acornactivemedia.com, whether or not
they belonged to those groups. We obviously don't want users to be able
to represent themselves as an authorized agent of an organization to
which they do not belong.

The new system is much more strict: every local user has an account
<username>@mail.chambana.net and every list is
<listname>@lists.chambana.net, and everything else is an alias to either
a local account, a list, or a remote account (like a gmail.com or
illinois.edu account). We've tried to make sure that every local account
and remote account has at least an @chambana.net and @ucimc.org alias,
with others if we knew about them. However, there are a number of
instances where we didn't know exactly which aliases were being used and
which weren't, and I've been adding those as we go by keeping an eye on
the logs and mailqueue when I can, contacting people individually, and
keeping the server on a debug mode where it keeps a lot of mail queued
when there's an error when otherwise it would be dropped. In particular,
it turns out a lot of people access the same lists through a ton of
different aliases (which often don't even resemble the actual name of
the list). Unfortunately, we can't just alias everything to everything
else, as we'd be running into the same problems that the new server is
trying to solve. Also, since the new system is so much more specific, if
we wanted to alias jim@<everydomain> to jim at mail.chambana.net, we would
need a line for each domain, expanding the same alias to up to dozens of
lines. We have several hundred lines of aliases programmed in to try and
break as little backwards compatibility as possible, but it's inevitable
that we might miss a few. I'm truly sorry for the omission, and I'll do
my best to make sure it doesn't happen again. I added the aliases in
which were mentioned, and if there are any other aliases for other AWARE
lists which you would like, please let me know.

- --
Josh King
- --

believed to be clean.