[Peace-discuss] Fw: [ChicagoIWW] IWW Haiti Relief fund

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Sun Jan 17 11:09:38 CST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Marshall Arnold
To: Chicago IWW
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:33 PM
Subject: [ChicagoIWW] IWW Haiti Relief fund

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:43:04 +0000
From: matt antosh <phatmatt_11 at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Geb] Geb Digest, Vol 54, Issue 66
To: <geb at lists.iww.org>, <redgrocer at gmail.com>

Hey Fellow Worker,

Just to tell you, the ISC is working on gathering donations to go to workers organizations and emergency relief to Haiti.  I think it would be important to prioritize raising donations though the ISC instead of sending donations though a political group like MAS.

The following is the statement that has been released to Facebook, and will be appearing in the IW and IWW.org written by FW Nathaniel Miller:

A devastating 7.0 earthquake hit Haiti Tuesday January 12th.
Thousands have been killed, and much Port au Prince leveled.  This
follows a series of deadly hurricanes in late 2008, and decades of
foreign-influenced economic terrorism, culminating in a US-led coup in
2004, and continuing UN occupation.  Haiti, the poorest nation in the
Western Hemisphere, is the only country to successfully liberate itself
from slavery and the former colonial masters have not let them forget.
Most people live on less than $2 a day, and many on less than $1.  In
April 2008 I participated in an IWW delegation to Haiti where we met
with workers and peasants struggling against neo-liberal slavery.  We
pledged our continued support to their struggle, and FW's donated
generously to support their organizing, and again for aid following the
hurricanes.  As I write communications with Haiti are nearly
impossible, but no doubt they will need our help again.  Our delegation
made a short video about our trip, "Haiti's Tourniquet" which we're
selling for $15 (includes shipping) to raise money for our comrades in
Haiti, and any donations large or small are greatly appreciated.  You
can purchase videos and send donations to:  Nathaniel Miller, PO Box
31909, Philadelphia, PA 19104-- or paypal iwwhaitifund at gmail.com please mark checks/ paypal payments "IWW Haiti Fund,"
and note if you want a video.  Contact nathaniel at iww.org to arrange online payment, or for other questions. please mark checks "IWW Haiti Fund,"
and note if you want a video.  Contact nathaniel at iww.org to arrange online payment, or for other questions.

A special assessment would be a good idea, and I would love to help do that, as a member of the ISC and though the ISC.

Solidarity across borders, with our heart in Haiti,
Matt A.