[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette: Elect peace candidate to the U.S. Senate

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:22:07 CST 2010

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/letters/2010/01/21/elect_peace_candidate_to_the_us_senate

Elect peace candidate to the U.S. Senate
Thursday January 21, 2010

On Feb. 2, Illinois voters will select Democratic and Republican
candidates who will compete in the November election to be our next
U.S. Senator. One issue voters should consider is: who would work to
end the war in Afghanistan?

Of the leading contenders, only Democrat Cheryle Robinson Jackson
wants to end the war and bring the troops home. "It is time to take
care of America again and time to bring our troops home," Jackson told
The Chicago Tribune. "Until we stop spending hundreds of billions on
wars, we will not have the focus or money to solve the challenges we
face at home."

Alexi Giannoulias told the Tribune he "fully supported" the war in
Afghanistan, while David Hoffman was merely "skeptical" of sending
more troops.

All the Republican candidates, including U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk, support
the continuation of the war.

In the 15th Congressional District, our Rep. Tim Johnson understands
that continuing the war is not in our interest. Last year, Rep.
Johnson supported every major congressional initiative to try to end
the war.

We need to send a U.S. Senator to Washington who will join Rep.
Johnson in voting against endless war. Cheryle Jackson is the only
candidate who will do so.

ROBERT NAIMAN

Urbana

believed to be clean.