[Peace-discuss] Fear of FEC-less ads

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 23 23:20:58 CST 2010

[I don't like this guy's politics much, but I think he may be right about why
there has been so much weeping and gnashing of teeth about the SC decision in
Citizens United v. FEC.  The one clear if perhaps questionable contribution of
the American 20th c. to human civilization since the Neolithic was PR; the fear
of the NYT editorialists et al. is that this SC decision in its madly consequent
way may upset the apple cart.  OTOH with Clement of Alexandria in the 2nd c. CE,
I say, "Let a hundred flowers bloom; let a thousand schools of thought contend."
(I realize the image has been used by others.) --CGE]

	Understanding Liberal Rage Over Citizens United
	by Brian Garst

On paper the Citizens United case has all the makings of a solid liberal issue.
  First Amendment protections, considered sacrosanct by the left when a reporter
is leaking classified information, are strengthened for those speaking truth to
power.  Both the ACLU and AFL-CIO support the decision.  So why are prominent
liberals speaking out so vehemently against it?

It would be easy to chalk up liberal outrage to a general hatred for all things
corporate.  But is that enough to overcome what otherwise seems like a
tailor-made liberal issue? After all, the ACLU said “[the prohibition on
corporate speech] is facially unconstitutional under the First Amendment because
it permits the suppression of core political speech.” Moreover, the corporate
gains, which liberals might feel benefit the right, are offset by those of the
unions and other liberal issue groups that benefit from the ruling just the
same.  The net political impact is thus neutral, suggesting that their
opposition isn’t political in nature.  Neither is it based on the merits.
Rather, it is philosophical.

Consider the following reactions to the decision from the left. The New York
Times editorialized the decision as a “blow to democracy,” and a “disastrous
5-to-4 ruling” that “has thrust politics back to the robber-baron era of the
19th century.”  Talk about overwrought.

President Obama decried the “stampede of special interest money” that will
somehow “[undermine] the influence of average Americans.”  Senator Patrick Leahy
warned that the decision would “change the course of our democracy.”  And the
ever-contemptible Rep. Alan Grayson must have been hyperventilating when he
declared that “this is the worst Supreme Court decision since the Dred Scott
case. It leads us all down the road to serfdom.”

As if these politicians aren’t bad enough, the liberal blogosphere is even
worse, as frantic left-wing bloggers and their readers have been busy declaring
an end to democracy as we know it ever since the ruling came down.
The apocalyptic – and not to mention apoplectic – nature of their criticism
suggests an answer as to why the decision irks them so.  Liberals think you are
all idiots.  American voters are simply too stupid to filter so much information
and then reach the right decision.  And as they well know, the right decision is
unquestionably to adopt the liberal position.  They, as the learned among us,
know best and so ought to be the only ones allowed to tell you what you should
think and why you should think it.  That way you don’t get confused by all those
other pesky views and opinions.  One wonders how we ever survived as a nation
before the great heroes John McCain and Russ Feingold came along to save us from
ourselves.

At the heart of the liberal philosophy of government is a belief that people are
too stupid to fend for themselves, manage their own affairs or vote for the
right candidates.  Democracy itself will be destroyed because of a few extra ads
targeting voters before elections? Voters, it seems, just aren’t sophisticated
enough to handle that much information.

Unfortunately for the left, the Constitution recognizes rights that all citizens
have, regardless of how intelligent the editorial board of the New York Times
thinks a person from Kansas really is.  It turns out that “make no law” really
means that “Congress shall make no law,” even if that law would advance the
liberal agenda.

http://biggovernment.com/2010/01/23/understanding-liberal-rage-over-citizens-united/

believed to be clean.