[Peace-discuss] Fear of FEC-less ads

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jan 24 08:53:20 CST 2010

Not exactly a special case in a society in which the rich are getting richer at
an accelerating pace, is it?

Most of the money collected for political campaigns goes to buy advertising,
mostly radio & TV.  That was true even in the little Green party campaign for
Congress that you and I were involved in some years ago.

Why not reduce the effectiveness of money in politics by making (prime) air time
- and other advertising outlets - free to candidates?

John W. wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu
> <mailto:galliher at illinois.edu>> wrote:
>

>     [I don't like this guy's politics much, but I think he may be right
>     about why there has been so much weeping and gnashing of teeth about
>     the SC decision in Citizens United v. FEC.  The one clear if perhaps
>     questionable contribution of the American 20th c. to human
>     civilization since the Neolithic was PR; the fear of the NYT
>     editorialists et al. is that this SC decision in its madly
>     consequent way may upset the apple cart.  OTOH with Clement of
>     Alexandria in the 2nd c. CE, I say, "Let a hundred flowers bloom;
>     let a thousand schools of thought contend." (I realize the image has
>     been used by others.) --CGE]
>

> That isn't what happens with PR, Carl.  No flowers are blooming when the
> corporate PR  machine spins out lie upon lie upon lie.
>
> To me this decision equates "political speech" with "justice".  In both
> cases, in the United States at least, you're entitled to as much speech
> and as much "justice" as you can afford to pay for.
>

>            Understanding Liberal Rage Over Citizens United
>            by Brian Garst
>
>     On paper the Citizens United case has all the makings of a solid
>     liberal issue.  First Amendment protections, considered sacrosanct
>     by the left when a reporter is leaking classified information, are
>     strengthened for those speaking truth to power.  Both the ACLU and
>     AFL-CIO support the decision.  So why are prominent liberals
>     speaking out so vehemently against it?
>
>     It would be easy to chalk up liberal outrage to a general hatred for
>     all things corporate.  But is that enough to overcome what otherwise
>     seems like a tailor-made liberal issue? After all, the ACLU said
>     “[the prohibition on corporate speech] is facially unconstitutional
>     under the First Amendment because it permits the suppression of core
>     political speech.” Moreover, the corporate gains, which liberals
>     might feel benefit the right, are offset by those of the unions and
>     other liberal issue groups that benefit from the ruling just the
>     same.  The net political impact is thus neutral, suggesting that
>     their opposition isn’t political in nature.  Neither is it based on
>     the merits. Rather, it is philosophical.
>
>     Consider the following reactions to the decision from the left. The
>     New York Times editorialized the decision as a “blow to democracy,”
>     and a “disastrous 5-to-4 ruling” that “has thrust politics back to
>     the robber-baron era of the 19th century.”  Talk about overwrought.
>
>     President Obama decried the “stampede of special interest money”
>     that will somehow “[undermine] the influence of average Americans.”
>      Senator Patrick Leahy warned that the decision would “change the
>     course of our democracy.”  And the ever-contemptible Rep. Alan
>     Grayson must have been hyperventilating when he declared that “this
>     is the worst Supreme Court decision since the Dred Scott case. It
> [...]

believed to be clean.