[Peace-discuss] Remarkable admission

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 25 09:42:20 CST 2010

[After all Obama's scenery-chewing about how we gotta "stop terrorism," the USM
admits what the world knows: the US is killing people in order to control the
region, by whatever means, and it will treat "the terrorists" as ally or
adversary, whichever is easier.  The following is from the front page of today's
FT. “As a soldier, my personal feeling is that there’s been enough fighting,”
says the 'Special Forces' commander, chosen for his expertise in death squads
and assassination.   But he has got down the Obama mantra for excusing US
crimes: "...focus on the future, and not the past.” --CGE]

	January 24 2010
	Financial Times
	McChrystal sees Taliban role
	By Matthew Green in Kabul

General Stanley McChrystal, the Nato commander in Afghanistan, has raised the
prospect that his troop surge will lead to a negotiated peace with the Taliban.

Gen McChrystal will urge his allies to renew their commitment to his strategy at
a conference in London this week.

In a Financial Times interview, he acknowledged growing scepticism about the
war, but said he was poised to make “very demonstrably positive” progress this
year as a result of the arrival of an extra 30,000 US troops.

By using the reinforcements to create an arc of secure territory stretching from
the Taliban’s southern heartlands to Kabul, Gen McChrystal aims to weaken the
insurgency to the point where its leaders would accept some form of settlement
with Afghanistan’s government.

“As a soldier, my personal feeling is that there’s been enough fighting,” he
said. “What I think we do is try to shape conditions which allow people to come
to a truly equitable solution to how the Afghan people are governed.”

Asked if he would be content to see Taliban leaders in a future government in
Kabul, he said: “I think any Afghans can play a role if they focus on the
future, and not the past.”

The remarks reveal the growing faith the US military is placing in the hope that
a power-sharing arrangement can end the war, a possibility floated in Islamabad
last week by Robert Gates, the US defence secretary, when he described the
Taliban as part of Afghanistan’s “political fabric”.

A parliamentary election has been postponed from May to September, pleasing
diplomats and domestic critics who want time to prevent a repeat of rampant
fraud that marred the presidential vote last year.

Gen McChrystal’s position is particularly significant since his assessments have
played a major role in shaping deliberations by Barack Obama, the US president,
over Afghan policy.

The prospect that an eight-year war could end with some Taliban leaders in power
represents a remarkable turnround in a campaign launched in part to punish the
movement for allowing Osama bin Laden, the al-Qaeda leader, to organise the
September 11 2001 attacks on the US from Afghan territory.

But hopes for reconciliation between the Taliban and the government of Hamid
Karzai, president, appear remote at a time when the insurgency is growing in
scope and sophistication and when western resolve is faltering.

Gen McChrystal sees the London conference on Thursday as a key opportunity for
allies to rally around his ambitious counter-insurgency strategy in spite of a
70 per cent rise in coalition casualties last year and doubts over the
credibility of the Afghan government.

He hopes the conference will issue a strong statement backing his plan, which
hinges on providing enough security to allow the Afghan state to grow. “I’d like
everybody to walk out of London with a renewed commitment, and that commitment
is to the right outcome for the Afghan people,” he said.

Second article based same interview with the FT:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/647edfd0-090f-11df-ba88-00144feabdc0.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/30b0c4d8-091f-11df-ba88-00144feabdc0.html

believed to be clean.