[Peace-discuss] smilepolitely article on Francis Boyle and his International Criminal Court filing [link and excerpts]

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 12:52:45 CST 2010

[Below are very brief excerpts from the Smile Politely interview with
Francis Boyle about his ICC filing against the Bush II administration.
See the entire article and the responses to it:
http://www.smilepolitely.com/news/francis_boyle_vs._extraordinary_rendition/
-karen medina ]

Francis Boyle filed a complaint with the International Criminal Court
against: "U.S. citizens George W. Bush, Richard Cheney, Donald
Rumsfeld, George Tenet, Condoleezza Rice, and Alberto Gonzales (the
"Accused") for their criminal policy and practice of "extraordinary
rendition" perpetrated upon about 100 human beings."

[...]
"This may seem like a quixotic endeavor, but Boyle has had success
with filings in international courts before, gaining an indictment
against former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic in the
International Criminal Tribunal of the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY)."

[...]
Questions from Smile Politely:
Smile Politely: I'm curious about the timing of this filing. What
prompted this to come out now?
Smile Politely: Argentina was used as an example in the letter to the
court. I'm assuming that's because the prosecutor is Argentinian?
Smile Politely:  You mentioned that the Obama Administration is
continuing the policy of extraordinary rendition. I was wondering if
you knew of any examples of this policy being acted upon under the new
administration, or whether the rhetoric is just the same?
Smile Politely: Did you write a similar complaint that led to the
indictment of Slobodan Milosevic?
Smile Politely: Having dealt with this body before...
Smile Politely: Why these six people, not more or fewer?
Smile Politely: The email was mailed from Lawyers Against the War, but
then it was signed by you individually...
Smile Politely: Do you have any interest in speculating on a timetable
that you might receive a response?
Smile Politely: Do you have any idea how many cases the ICC...?

In the public comment section:
> The Law School is a cess pool and I wish this prof would crawl back into it. Thanks for excusing corruption and failing to care whether more public resources were used to advance personal causes.

believed to be clean.