[Peace-discuss] Could a "Great Negotiation" End the War in Afghanistan?

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 12 23:24:26 CDT 2010

David,

I think you are selling Englehardt short. The first paragraph you quote from his article indicates that indeed he knows, or guesses, why we were/are in Afghanistan (or Iraq, Pakistan, …). But what he is driving at—what he intends—is to try to force the Obama administration to truthfully answer that question, which if honestly answered would point to the stupidity, not to speak of the immorality, of the U.S. wars/occupations. Of course, you can guess that it wont be answered, but it may still be worth while to press the issue.

There is one caveat here: Perhaps "we" like wars that damage the American economy, increase inequality, and continue to enrich the war profiteers, even strengthening our supposed enemies/competitors in the process. Is that being too cynical? Are Obama and his advisors that contemptuous of the American public, and that cynical in their motives?

Mort