[Peace-discuss] U.S troop rebellion in Vietnam

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 13 21:07:14 CDT 2010

The crucial fact - both for the outcome of the war and for our understanding of
it - is that the American conscript army revolted.  It wouldn't be wrong to
speak of the Vietnam Mutiny (cf. the Sepoy Rebellion).

Along with the subsequent experience of our mercenary army in the Mideast, it's
made me rethink the notion of a draft.  We worked hard against it 40 years ago.
(Leigh was the co-founder of the South Bend IN Draft Union, on the model of
anti-draft organizations that existed around the country.) But today I'd support
it on the grounds that a citizen army can and should be a check on imperial
adventures.

Now of course the American military has to be opposed tout court, but maybe one
day we'll have the luxury to think about how a democratic military might work.

An example I'd like to know about - there's a good study that I haven't read -
is the Cuban army's defeat of South Africa.  Another interesting if off-the-wall
study/collection of articles is War Nerd by Gary Brecher.  (I tried to read
Martin Van Creveld's The Culture of War but didn't get very far.)