[Peace-discuss] How to win in November: jobs & income

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Jul 15 16:27:53 CDT 2010

No, probably not.  But I don't think the deficit (or the cumulative national debt) is in any way "chimerical"  I think it's very real, and the interest on it alone saps something like a third of all the income taxes we Americans pay.  We owe real money to real lenders; or else the Fed is simply printing money, which devalues the currency and creates inflation.  Either way or both ways, there's nothing chimerical about it.
About 2 trillion of US government debt is held by the Chinese, who recently downgraded the quality of that paper from AAA to AA.  The Chinese wont willingly buy more US debt.

The current rate of inflation is about 6%.   It is currently misreported as about 2.5% via the trick called geometric adjustment of the CPI.  An accurate reporting of inflation will cause mass chaos so they dont dare tell the truth.

At an AWARE meeting several months ago I made the statement that the value of the US dollar would fall by 50% in the next year.  If one considers the price of gold as a measure of the value of the dollar, indeed the dollar has lost about 50% of its value, howbeit it took longer than I said it was going to.  Part of that loss in value has been mediated somewhat by trading in virtual gold (gold that doesnt exist).  The Chinese recently also stated that the dollar has lost 50% of its value, and are no longer buying Treasury bills but are buying gold like its going out of style.  They have chosen print Renminbi at the same rate that the Fed prints dollars thus maintaining the peg to the dollar.

There was somewhat of a sell off of Treasury bills by the Chinese some time back but they seem to have agreed to desist rather than shake the house down.

  In any event, deficit spending now is needed to put people to work, and eventually bring the deficit in line with historical levels. Given the shortage of demand, there is no concern about inflation--in fact, deflation is more of a concern. Our currency needs to be devalued in relation to the Chinese, but that will only make domestic products more competitive. Again, that's a different (but related) issue.
The RMB has been historically drastically undervalued relative to the dollar.  There was a small adjustment some time back from 8.2xxx to 6.8xxx. The black market rate used to be 10 while the bank would give 8.23xx.  No one in China much wants dollars presently.   Devaluing the dollar will harm Chinese exports but cause Americans to pay more for what they buy, and the Chinese will pay less for the raw materials and feedstuffs they buy.   US debt is no longer considered to be a safe haven.  It looks like to me that a readjustment of the dollar downward and the RMB upward is inevitable.

  DG