[Peace-discuss] How to win in November: jobs & income

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 15 17:53:26 CDT 2010

"Chimera" is a wonderful word. It's not just the "fire-breathing monster of
Greek mythology, with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail (or
according to others with the heads of a lion, a goat, and a serpent), killed by
Bellerophon" (and unaccountably regarded as female). It's also "an unreal
creature of the imagination, a mere wild fancy, an unfounded conception." That's
what the frightening deficit is.

David describes the real situation, but the reason we've been hearing so much
about the deficit today is that the rich in America want to stave off the coming
demand for taxation on differential wealth, which has concentrated at an
accelerating pace in fewer and fewer hands. They want to scare people with the
notion that the government is "spending too much" in order to forestall
redistributive tax increases.

Obviously, no tax increase should be laid upon the bulk of the population: as
the teapartiers say quite rightly, they're "Taxed Enough Already." But the rich
who have done so well out of the crisis should be despoiled of their ill-gotten
gains and the money passed on in the form of living wages to the majority.

Keynes made all this clear between the wars - read about his ditch-digging and
-refilling proposal - but even the most advanced liberals in America today say
only that business should be given more money in hopes that they'll hire more
people!  Crossed fingers are the stimulus program...

BTW, the Chimera led Rabelais to pose a question in the Scholastic style that
with a few changes could be put into he mainstream media as an economic
discussion: "Questio subtilissima, utrum chimera in vacuo bombinans possit
comedere secundas intentiones" ("whether a chimera bombinating in a vacuum can
eat second intentions" [= a conception generalized from a first impressions on
the mind; an abstract notion; e.g., species, genus, whiteness].)

Well we may ask.