[Peace-discuss] Non-interaction with Champaign police

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Sat Jul 17 03:28:28 CDT 2010

Without details and specifics, it is difficult to draw any conclusions as to  why the male that you talked to responded  in the way that he did.  First, the other people who you mention as having called the police called specifically who - the Champaign police department, 911, or some other local police jurisdiction. We do not know for sure that they even really did call the police; they might have just told you that they were calling or had called the police. It also is quite possible that if the calls were placed to 911 or to another police department the information was never passed on to the Champaign department's front desk but got transmitted over the radio to police units, who may not have been in the immediate area so as to visibly respond to the call in what you might consider a timely manor or they might have had higher priority calls that kept them tied up.  We have no knowledge of the situation nor do we know if the complaints were passed on to investigation to do further investigation of the complaints the next day when the investigators come in to work.

Second, the male who you spoke to on the phone was probably at the front desk at the Champaign Police department and a civilian receptionist or an intern, who was new to the job, not in the communications loop, or not very knowledgeable about the incident or how to handle your call.  But even if he was an officer, he may not have had any information about the incident or complaints concerning it.  The Champaign PD has some of the same internal communications problems as many bureaucracies; information often encounters delays when transmitted from one shift to the next, from one operating unit to another, and from one person to another.  Aside from time lags, information has been know to get lost in the communication process.  I know this from personal experiences as well as the experiences of my neighbors regarding actions with respect to their mentally challenged adopted daughter.

Moreover, the male you spoke with from what you say indicated that the officers on duty patrolling the streets if they had been alerted to this complaint were in fact acting on it by keeping their eye out for the vehicle bearing that license plate and would take some action if they came across the vehicle - e.g., question the owner or driver.  Since there were no police who saw the incident happen or who were able to respond immediately to the scene of the incident, this was the only action that they could take until either an officer sees that vehicle being driven recklessly or upon stopping it finds some evidence that it was indeed involved in some abnormal event.  Other than that, the complaint and information (including the license plate data) typically would be passed on to the investigation unit for further investigation; however, unless it is an emergency or serious incident or crime requiring the investigators on call to be called in, investigators usually have normal business working hours from Monday to Friday.  So it would not be until the next day, Monday, that the investigators would begin to check the license to see who owns the vehicle with that license plate, interview the owner to find out who was driving the vehicle and where at what time, possibly examine the vehicle, interview the complainants and witnesses, etc.  Thus, your impression that he case was either closed or being ignored may be wrong.  Similarly, your feeling that the case was being treated with disinterest may also be misplaced.  We only have your impressions but none of the substantive details and specifics upon which an assessment can be made.