[Peace-discuss] [Discuss] Non-interaction with Champaign police

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 00:07:50 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Marti Wilkinson <martiwilki at gmail.com>wrote:

> Al Johnston (hubby of Julia Rietz)  lost a fully loaded gun driving out of
> Cherry Hills, and they still haven't found it yet. The News-Gazette sat on
> the story until after Julia got re-elected. I wouldn't be surprised if that
> gun is found at the scene of a crime.
>
> Champaign cops often run on a 'see no evil; hear no evil' type of protocol.
> So I wouldn't be surprised if a bad driver got away with mischief in Cherry
> Hills. However, if this became a daily practice and enough people got pissed
> off then the police would act. If what happened in Hessel Park was an
> isolated one-time occurrence I wouldn't expect much to be done.

Yes.  Though the analogy is imperfect, Marti is basically right.  In Cherry
Hills and perhaps in Hessel Park, the police would do a cost-benefit
analysis, and administer "justice" accordingly.  In the case of our
not-so-hypothetical reckless motorist, the police would probably follow up
on the incident(s) if enough prosperous burghers in the affected
neighborhood complained.  But if the miscreant motorist were then found to
be a police officer, or a prominent lawyer, or the son of a prominent real
estate developer, then the followup would be hushed up, and the motorist
would skate with a friendly warning.

A somewhat different balancing of interests occurs in a poor neighborhood,
and especially if it's a poor black neighborhood.  The police are already
watching the neighborhood like a hawk - not so much to protect the residents
of that neighborhood as to protect residents of "better" neighborhoods from
the perps who lurk in the teeming ghetto, who are presumed guilty until
proven innocent.

And of course we all know that in this balancing of interests, perhaps the
most important interest of all is ensuring that the police department
itself, and the politicians who stand behind it, "save face" at all times.
It can be a tricky bit o' business.