[Peace-discuss] Outrage…from France/Bretagne

Morton K. Brussel mkb3 at mac.com
Mon Jul 19 15:40:35 CDT 2010

IMG_0081  When in the French-Brittany town Quimper, population 120,000, I came upon and joined a march to protest the Israeli actions against the flotilla trying to get to Gaza. Probably a couple hundred persons march to the prefecture and demanded an audience there. They were received. If only we could marshall such a crowd from our even larger U-C population.

IMG_0083. French, Turks, Palestinians giving me a guided visit through the town of Quimper.
On French TV from the National Assembly, expressions of strong condemnation of Israel and demands that the blockade be lifted, were voiced, in marked contrast to what was heard in the U.S. House and Senate.
	Later on in my travels, in the smaller town of Vannes, I was impressed to see a similar demonstration.

One may rightly ask whether these outpourings of outrage did any good at a governmental level. My guess is that the French government took them into account, but did nothing openly; however, behind the scenes it may have contributed to the subsequent defensive responses of the Israelis.

--mkb