[Peace-discuss] Immigrants' rights protest proposal and meeting tomorrow at 8pm

Jesse Phillippe japhillippe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 18:13:22 CDT 2010

I have a new proposal for the protest, plus an invitation to meet tomorrow
(Tuesday) at 8 pm at the Espresso Royale Cafe on Goodwin to hash out more of
the details of this protest.

1. Since we don't know much about Cold Stone Creamery, Jimmy John's is
actually a much more overtly right wing Arizona based company/owner.  JImmy
John himself has supported both John McCain's and Joe Arpaio's campaigns.
 It is among the top three companies that allies of Alto Arizona are calling
to boycott:

http://www.boycottarizona1070.com/target.php

<http://www.boycottarizona1070.com/target.php>Here is what folks in
Minneapolis did, and why:

http://www.fightbacknews.org/2010/6/17/minneapolis-immigrant-rights-protest-targets-jimmy-johns

<http://www.fightbacknews.org/2010/6/17/minneapolis-immigrant-rights-protest-targets-jimmy-johns>Now,
we should probably protest at one of their locations on Green street.
 Because protesting their local corporate headquarters on Fox Dr. would
attract not shit in terms of foot or car traffic.

2. Once we decide on this, and make a flier, we should make sure to contact
all the Mexican restaurants in town.  I am willing to do the bulk of the
work on that stuff.  As such, it would also make sense to have our protest
on Green street.  If we did it at the JJ at Green and 6th we would be within
walking distance of La Bamba, Mas Amigos, and Qdoba, all of which have
latino/as working there, who, if they get off work around 5, might stop by
to talk to us/join us.

3.  Finally, there is much more foot traffic on Green Street.  As such, we
can talk to and pass out fliers to people as they walk by.  This, I think,
is a better way to judge at least some portion of public opinion, than just
watching traffic go by and seeing who will take our fliers.  We should do
that, too, by all means.  But talking to people on the street, who can also
hear our chants, would have more of an effect.

Respond to this email tonight with any concerns or suggestions.  And I look
forward to seeing people at the Espresso Royale on Goodwin tomorrow at 8 pm.