[Peace-discuss] [Discuss] Spencer's Gifts selling overt racist/sexist tees

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 13:36:52 CDT 2010

I oppose the tee-shirts you mention, not for the political statements
but for the sexist statements.
-karen medina

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Mikhail Lyubansky <lyubanskym at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm an Obama supporter, but I don't have a problem with the Obama/Woods
> t-shirt. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it and wouldn't buy it or wear it,
> but public figures are legitimate targets of humor and I wouldn't have it
> any other way.
>
> I don't like the "Dick" shirt either, but it also doesn't cross the line for
> me in that it is not targeted at an particular marginalized group. I suppose
> it can be argued that it targets women and I'm open to hearing that
> argument, but right now I wouldn't organize around that either.
>
> The illegal immigrant shirt, on the other hand, does cross the line for me
> in that it targets a marginalized group, spreads inaccurate and very harmful
> information, and seeks to fan the flames of fear and hatred. I would support
> any nonviolent attempt to get the store to remove them.
>
> Mikhail
>

> Mikhail Lyubansky, Ph.D.
> Department of Psychology
> University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
> http://www.psych.uiuc.edu/~lyubansk
>
> Blogger, Psychology Today:
> http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-the-lines
> Managing Editor, OpEdNews: http://www.opednews.com/author/author18834.html
> Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mikhaill
>

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Neil Parthun <lennybrucefan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all -
>>
>> I was out at the Champaign mall today and I stopped by Spencer's Gifts.
>>
>> Activist/hip hop artist Jasiri X had noted on his site that he had
>> encountered some very objectionable shirts at the store in Pennsylvania.
>>  So, curiosity got the best of me and I entered the store to see if they
>> were in Illinois too.
>>
>> Within moments, I found a tee that I unfortunately did not get a picture
>> of...However, the text read "I Have the Dick, So I Make the Rules."  Classy,
>> no?
>>
>> I then found the shirts that Jasiri had spoken about in his web post.
>>
>> One shirt said "Illegal Immigrants are like sperm.  Millions come in but
>> only one little bastard actually works."
>>
>>  http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/ppp00022/?action=view&current=IMG_0148.jpg
>>
>> Another had a picture with Obama and Tiger Woods with Obama saying
>> "Seriously, I have screwed more people than you." to Tiger.
>>
>> http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/ppp00022/?action=view&current=IMG_0151.jpg
>>
>> Of course, searching the Spencer's Gifts website found nothing on display
>> there.
>>
>> I got contact information for the store itself and their customer service
>> representative at the big office.  Let's organize a quick campaign -- if
>> they cannot remove the offending shirt(s) within a few days, let's have a
>> little welcoming committee outside the Spencer's to let people know about
>> what it is Spencer's is selling and profiting from.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Neil Parthun
> [...]

karen medina
"In this universe, we are given two gifts: the ability to love, and
the ability to ask questions." (Mary Oliver, American poet)
A third gift is the ability to laugh. (Jenifer, a friend)