[Peace-discuss] House Votes Today on Afghan, Pakistan Wars

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 28 17:22:52 CDT 2010

Mort writes rather shamefully,  "I suspect that there's more behind your
campaign for Johnson ... He goes to church and he's against abortion."  I
noticed (but hardly took seriously) that David Gill seems to be prey to the same
dark imaginings about my thought-crimes.  We were talking about war policy, and
I took such maunderings as the sort of thing one gets from people who realize
that they've taken up an untenable position and can't admit it.

But now I think that what we have here is an example of what Tom Franks
described a few years ago in "What's the Matter with Kansas?" (which I saw
published in England with the quite appropriate alternate title, "What's the
Matter with America?").  Frank argued that his Kansas voters were in fact voting
against their own interests by not voting for Democrats, because they were
misled by symbolic issues on religiosity and guns.

Frank was right, but he had the matter upside down, as Larry Bartels of
Princeton showed.  It was not the poor and working class voters who made that
substitution, but soi-disant liberals. Bartels' surveys showed that it was the
latter group who were far more concerned about God, guns, and abortion than
economic issues.  (The reason that the former group didn't vote for Democrats
was their quite accurate perception that the Democrats had given up on equality
and substituted diversity - as Walter Benn Michaels described.)

Mort seems willing to work against his anti-war interest because of his
preoccupation with church and abortion.