[Peace-discuss] defining the adversary

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Jul 28 21:39:28 CDT 2010

At the 2008 RNC in Minneapolis, the delegates for Ron Paul posed for a group picture with a replica of the Fort Moultrie Flag (a crescent moon and the word LIBERTY on a blue field).   The flag had been signed by all the delegates and by Ron Paul.   McCain's thugs snatched the flag and said "This is McCain country.  You can't have that."   The group did eventually get the flag back thanks to a attorney who observed the snatching of the flag and offered his help.

I have been reading Edgar Snow's account of the Chinese Revolution written in the 1930's.

In Hunan Changsha in 1920 a group of student demonstrators rallying for democracy attempted to raise a red flag and were prohibited from doing so by the police.  They told the police that they under Article 12 of the Constitution they had the right to assemble, organize, and speak, but the police were not impressed.  They said they were not there to be taught the Constitution but to carry out the orders of the governor.

"From this time on I became more and more convinced that only mass political power, secured through mass action, could guarantee the realization of dynamic reforms"   - Mao Zedong, 1937, quoted by Edgar Snow.