[Peace-discuss] defining the adversary

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Jul 29 09:24:44 CDT 2010

Since my first name is Edgar (hence the E. because they call my dad Edgar)
many of the
Chinese ask me if I am perhaps related to Edgar Snow.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a copy of Schwartz's book.  I recall you
mentioning him before.
Mao means "hair"  in Chinese and the character suggests the appearance of
hair.  It also means cat but
is a different character and not used as a family name as it is in German.
Maybe the book "Rise of Mao"could be advertised as a "hair-raising account
of the recent events in the Chinese Revolution".

Mao recommended that everyone should read the four great (quasi-ancient)
Chinese novels that were
illegal during the reign of the Qing Dynasty:
Hong Lou Meng (Dream of the Red Chamber [or Red Mansion])
Xi You Ji (The Journey to the West)
Shui Hu Zhuan (Outlaws of the Marsh or Water Margin or All Men are Brothers)
San Guo Yuan Yi (Story of the Three Kingdoms)

Some of the translations of Hong Lou Meng are really deficient.

Xi You Ji introduces the Monkey King (Sun Wukong or Hou Ge - "Brother
Monkey)
and Zhu Bajie (a pig-like man who brandishes a rake)

Shui Hu Zhuan is an outstanding adventure story based on real legendary
events
sort of a over-the-top sort of Robin Hood outlaw gang who got together by
chance events.
It was a TV series in the late 90s very well done.  I have not found an
English subtitled version
of the TV series

San Guo Yuan Yi is a legendized account of the foundations of second Han
dynasty about 300 AD and
recounts real events and real people.  Actually China has changed very
little
on the deep cultural level.  There is to be but little doubt that
Mao was strongly influenced by the Shui Hu Zhuan and the San Guo Yuan Yi.
That must be true, because he said so.
San Guo Yuan Yi introduces Zhuge Liang (aka Kong Ming) who was
a brilliant thinker, inventor, and military tactician/strategist.
Many movies and TV series are based on the Three Kingdoms legends,
notably Red Cliff 2 which is much easier to understand if you had
read the book.

Of course there is also Sun Zi Bing Fa (Master Sun's Art of War).
Interestingly Sun Zi strongly recommends against War
and has very strong reprimands against pointless imperialism.
Of course American imperialism is not exactly pointless...