[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Partial victory against SB 1070. Protest is still on!

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 22:17:21 CDT 2010

Somewhat different from what Stuart expresses, I would guess that what determined Susan Bolton's opinion was less the demonstrations than what she perceived as justice and fundamental laws. Hispanic immigrants and their allies' demonstrations probably will not carry a great deal of weight  in the courts' decisions unless the bulk of the American public supports them, and that is far from happening.

The immigration issue in my lights is not so simple as some make believe. For me it comes down to "open borders or not". The USA is not going to dramatically improve the living conditions in the lands south of the border that are a main reason for immigrants illegally trying to get here for a better life. (I suppose if there were not jobs for these illegals in the U.S. that would also "help".) That would be the only non-legal, non-criminalizing, non physically restrictive solution to stemming the illegal flow. Unless the whole character of our government and the mores of the country changes, it aint going to happen.

--mkb