[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Partial victory against SB 1070. Protest is still on!

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Jul 30 08:17:09 CDT 2010

I see the border as a semi-permeable membrane with gates and pumps.  Some
things are pumped in
some are pumped out and some passively flow in and out.  Some things diffuse
across the membrane.

If there is no border, there is no State indeed.  I can't say that I dislike
the idea of No State and No Borders but I recognize that the integrity and
existence of the State is defined by its border.  I mean State here in the
general sense, not the 50 states, etc.

The extreme Libertarian position is for no borders at all.  Extremes are
usually dysfunctional.

Some borders and separations are natural due to various geophysical
properties and the property of distance and the "homing" tendency.  People
tend to naturally segregate (not in the racist sense) and develop their
individual cultures.  My wife's hometown used to have a wall around it to
keep bandits and roaming marauders out.  Consequently Qixian developed their
own language that is quite different from the neighboring two county seats
Taigu and Pingyao.  The wall at Pingyao is still standing since the
merchants of Pingyao had money enough and motivation enough for a wall that
would stand for centuries.  They got their training in xenophobia at the
college of hard knocks.

The good people of Arizona have their own reasons for keeping out the
Mexican riff-raff.  Likewise our Mexican brothers and sisters have their
impetus for wanting to migrate northward in search of what they hope would
be a better life.  My sympathies are with them.  I dont think that the
majority of them are bandits and small thieves in search of something for
nothing.  Some of them are.  Has to be so.  Such exist on both sides of the
border.   Most of the Mexicans who come to the US are good people.  The fine
Mexican guy who replaced my fried automatic transmission in Elko Nevada
asked me where I was from and then asked me "what part of Mexico is that?".

"Born in East LA" is one of my favourite movies.  Lao Zi said that if you
dont value things that are hard to get, then you bring it about that people
do not compete.

However biased and rednecky stupid and xenophobic we might think Arizonans
to be, they have a right to their own culture and individuality and I do
regret that there are people who want to homogenize and dumb down the
concept of the 50 or so sovereign states, however artificial and contrived
one might find their ILL-drawn borders to be.

If Arizonans want to be assholes, we should respect it somewhat.  It is the
differences that are interesting and blending the 50 states into a
homogeneous mass is entropic.  I was cheering for the Quebecois to secede
and it had nothing to do with whether or not I like Quebeckers.   In
southern Illinois we didnt want the "Chicago dumbasses who cannot
disttinguish Shinola from its colorimetric congener" telling us what to do,
and we shared a lot more in common with the people in southern Indiana than
those northerners who dont even know how to talk right.   For the other 49
states to hammer the Arizonans is as least as hypocritical and xenophobic as
the gun toting blaspheming rednecks of Arizona.

We make a big mistake when we try to impose our cultural memes on others.
If immigration is a good idea then give the Mexicans free train tickets and
safe passage through Arizona.  But dont tell the Arizonans how to run their
state, however damn stupid their policy seems to us.  Yankee imperialism
stinks no matter how you package it and the more you stir it up the more it
stinks.

Mexicans come to the US because the equilibrium draws them in just like salt
into a pickle.   The good people of the US dont want to do the jobs that
they do, or used to do.  The Mexicans pick your fruit and vegetables, feed
your livestock and slaughter and package them for you and clean your toilets
afterwards.

I am disappointed at how polarized the issue has become & I dont see any
meaningful dialogue going on between the different sides.  The federal
government wants to extend its tentacles into every aspect of American life.
Arizona has its own ideas.  I think that both sides are very very wrong and
this matter is bound to continue to smolder for a long while.  The best
thing for the Yankees to do is to simply give their advice and then mind
their own business.  But if Yankees did that, they wouldn't be Yankees would
they?

...and we wouldnt have a gazillion and a half military bases around the
world either.