[Peace-discuss] Which side are you on?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 30 18:15:56 CDT 2010

On the one side are Obama, Gates, and repressive WWI-era law; on the other,
Wikileaks, Bradley Manning, and the American public's ability to know what's
being done in its name.

One group should be in jail, the other praised for defending freedom.  But right
now the wrong one has the upper hand.  --CGE

============
Justice Dept Explores Espionage Charges Against WikiLeaks

The New York Times reports Justice Department lawyers are exploring whether the
whistleblowing website WikiLeaks and its founder Julian Assange could be charged
with violating the Espionage Act of 1917 for publishing the classified Afghan
war documents. Republican Senator Lindsey Graham has already called for the
criminal prosecution of WikiLeaks. On Thursday, Defense Secretary Robert Gates
denounced the leaking of the documents.

     Robert Gates: "The battlefield consequences of the release of these
documents are potentially severe and dangerous for our troops, our allies and
Afghan partners, and may well damage our relationships and reputation in that
key part of the world."

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/30/headlines#6