[Peace-discuss] Bacevich on military matters

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 31 12:09:43 CDT 2010

I don't think so. It seems rather silly to me. Bacevich argues that there's been
a Fukuyamist change - "The End of (Military) History" - because of "the Failure
of the Western Way of War."

But it hasn't failed. The US and Israel control the vast region from Palestine
to Pakistan, from Central Asia to the Horn of Africa - home of the world's
hydrocarbons - despite occasional setbacks (e.g., the US never wanted elections
in Iraq, but the resistance of the population insisted upon them).  Bacevich
seems to think that the occupations have failed. On the contrary, it looks to be
in pretty good shape, as the US Congress votes $33 BILLION more for escalation
in Afghanistan.

It's important to see that the governments of the US and Israel want war, and
the people of the region don't. The existence of the war justifies the presence
of the US & Israeli military throughout the region.  Add to that the significant
social groups in both countries that depend on war - "defense" industries, oil
companies, construction and mercenary outfits, settlers and employers of cheap
labor, etc.

It looks as though the only thing that could stop the current success of the
"the Western Way of War" is a revolt of domestic populations - and/or of the
military - in the US and Israel. But there's little sign of that.