[Peace-discuss] Tell the Senate to restrain executive power

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 2 16:50:49 CDT 2010

	Bill of Rights Defense Committee
	Tell the Senate to restrain executive power

Later this month, the US Senate will begin hearings to examine, and potentially
confirm, the nomination of Solicitor General Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court.
The Court, of course, will prove crucial to resolving a litany of predictable
contests, over issues including the rights to trial, privacy, individualized
suspicion, and free speech.

Kagan's nomination has raised concerns among some observers about whether the
nominee will enforce appropriate limits on executive power, given her service in
the Executive Branch under two administrations. Without taking a position on the
nomination itself, BORDC will encourage the Senate "to vigorously examine any
nominee to the Supreme Court, with a particular eye towards establishing his or
her willingness to check and balance the Executive Branch when necessary to
protect constitutional rights."

In the Federalist No. 10, James Madison wrote about the ongoing need for the
branches of government to check and balance one another. The separation of
powers he and other Founders developed has served our nation well for over two
centuries [THE WISH IS FATHER TO THE THOUGHT -CGE]. As we explain in our letter
- which nearly 2,000 BORDC supporters have signed so far - "As the 'war on
terror' continues to fan the flames of public fear and encourage deference to
authority, the need for judicial independence stands at a historical zenith."

With confirmation carrying a lifetime seat on the nation's highest court, it is
imperative that the Senate examine the implications of any nomination for the
separation of powers. Please raise your voice with us and encourage concerned
neighbors and colleagues to follow your lead.

Sincerely,

Shahid Buttar
Executive Director

Bill of Rights Defense Committee
8 Bridge Street, Suite A, Northampton, MA 01060
info at bordc.org
Telephone: 413-582-0110
Fax: 413-582-0116

believed to be clean.