[Peace-discuss] Fw: Afghanistan has $1 Trillion in mineral deposits (DN! Monday, June 14, 2010)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jun 14 11:43:03 CDT 2010

Right on Floyd, e.g., "The Times story is the usual splattered mess of
regurgitated Pentagon PR and imperial spin, with a few small bits of pertinent
information here and there."

The story looks like a rather desperate administration attempt to answer the
question "Why are we in Afghanistan?" - "stopping terrorism" is wearing thin -
without of course talking about the real reason.

At about the same point in the Vietnam War (judged by the number of dead
Americans) the US put it about that there was oil off the coast of Southeast
Asia.  But (unlike the current war) the US attack on SE Asia was not about oil.

Similarly, the US has its economic/geopolitical reasons for the AfPak war
without reference to presumed mineral wealth in Afghanistan. The president of
Germany just lost his job for simply mentioning such reasons publicly.

The next task is justifying the war against Pakistan, without of course talking
about...

On 6/14/10 10:22 AM, David Green wrote:
> Chris Floyd has done that for us, and the answer is both correct and
> predictable.
> http://chris-floyd.com/articles/1-latest-news/1978-trillion-dollar-bash-mineral-find-means-more-blood-money-in-afghan-war.html

> *From:* Jenifer Cartwright <jencart13 at yahoo.com> *To:* Peace-discuss
> <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> *Sent:* Mon, June 14, 2010 10:01:04 AM
> *Subject:* [Peace-discuss] Fw: Afghanistan has $1 Trillion in mineral
> deposits (DN! Monday, June 14, 2010)
>

> Friends, This was one of this morning's Democracy Now's headlines. Anybody
> care to guess what the US will do about this?? --Jenifer
>
> Report: US Discovers $1 Trillion in Afghan Mineral Deposits The /New York
> Times/ is reporting the United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in
> untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, including huge amounts of copper,
> cobalt, gold and lithium ... Meanwhile, a new report from the London
> School of Economics includes new evidence that Pakistan’s main spy agency,
> the ISI, continues to arm and train the Taliban. The report states, "Without
> a change in Pakistani behavior it will be difficult, if not impossible, for
> international forces and the Afghan government to make progress against the
> insurgency."

believed to be clean.