[Peace-discuss] US worried peace may break out

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 27 13:21:40 CDT 2010

[Come on! The US needs this damn war! Without it our imperial control is up the
creek. (We need some Blackwater...) The administration is working as hard as
possible to see that the war continues - up to and including Obama's simply
reversing himself this weekend about the July 2011 withdrawal. It looks now like
the only way it can be stopped is like Vietnam - a revolt in the Congress and
the military, precipitated by public opinion..  --CGE]

	Panetta dismisses reports that al-Qaeda ally seeks reconciliation
	By Peter Finn
	Washington Post Staff Writer
	Sunday, June 27, 2010; 1:22 PM

CIA director Leon Panetta Sunday dismissed reports that the network of
Sirajuddin Haqqani, a major element in the insurgency in Afghanistan and an ally
of al-Qaeda, was open to a Pakistan-brokered reconciliation process that could
usher the group into a power-sharing arrangement in Kabul.

"We have seen no evidence that they are truly interested in reconciliation where
they would surrender their arms, where they would denounce al-Qaeda, where they
would really try to become part of that society," Panetta said on "This Week,"
on ABC. "We have seen no evidence of that and very frankly my view is that with
regards to reconciliation unless they're convinced the United States is going to
win and that they are going to be defeated, I think it is very difficult to
proceed with a reconciliation that is going to be meaningful," he said.

The remarks seemed designed to challenge efforts by senior Pakistani military
and intelligence officials to orchestrate a deal that could drive a wedge
between Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the United States, and rehabilitate
the Haqqani network, a long-time Pakistani asset.

"Winning in Afghanistan is having a country that is stable enough to ensure that
there is no safe haven for al-Qaeda or for a militant Taliban that welcomes
al-Qaeda," Panetta said. "That is the measure of success for the United States."
But he acknowledged that the fight has proved "harder" and "slower than I think
anyone anticipated."

Panetta's remarks came as a suspected CIA missile launched from a drone killed
three militants in North Waziristan, part of Pakistan's tribal areas where
Panetta said al-Qaeda is now concentrated. He said there were at most 50 to 100
al-Qaeda operatives inside Afghanistan. And without explicitly acknowledging the
drone campaign by the CIA, he said the actions of the United States were in
compliance with domestic and international law.

Panetta also warned that U.S. citizenship was no protection for those who
conspire against the United States. He had been asked about Anwar al-Aulaqi, the
American-born cleric, now in Yemen, who has been linked with a succession of
terrorist attacks from the Fort Hood shootings to the attempted bombing on a
Detroit-bound plane on Christmas Day.

"Aulaqi is a terrorist and yes, he is a U.S. citizen, but he is first and
foremost a terrorist, and we are going to treat him like a terrorist," said
Panetta when asked if Aulaqi was on an assassination list. "We don't have an
assassination list, but I can you tell you this we have a terrorist list and
he's on it." Intelligence and counter-terrorism officials have said that Aulaqi
is on a target list of terrorists who can be killed.

Panetta said the agency has hired Xe Services, the controversial company once
known as Blackwater, to proved security at CIA installations in Afghanistan, but
he said the company would have no role in actual operations. Panetta said Xe
underbid other security companies by $26 million to secure the $100 million
contract, and that the firm, whose guards allegedly opened fire on unarmed
civilians in Iraq, had "shaped up their act."

On other subjects, Panetta said Iran has enough low-enriched uranium for two
nuclear bombs but that it would take two years for the country to build the
bombs and a weapon-delivery system. He said the latest round of U.N. sanctions
will weaken Iran, but is unlikely to end the country's nuclear ambitions. But he
said it was still a matter of debate whether Iran has made the decision to
proceed with the bomb.

Panetta also that some of North Korea's recent actions, such as the attack on a
South Korean warship, are part of an attempt by Kim Jong Il to burnish the
succession bona fides of his son, Kim Jong Un.

"Our intelligence shows that at the present time there is a process of
succession going on," said Panetta. "Part of the provocations that are going on,
part of the skirmishes that are going on, are in part related to trying to
establish credibility for the son, and that makes it a dangerous period."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/27/AR2010062701928.html

believed to be clean.