[Peace-discuss] Kyrgyzstan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jun 28 21:11:13 CDT 2010

This rather plays down the recent moiling about in Kyrgyzstan by both Russians
and Americans.  Both sides seem to have been bribing Bakiyev. The country - and
especially the Manas base - seems vital to US resupply of its Afghan
expeditionary force. And the Russians are more or less complacent, not wanting a
Taliban government on their border.  They seem to prefer even an American
puppet.  But they're not abandoning their influence in Kyrgyzstan for that.

There's some irony in the BBC comparing it to the north of Ireland...

On 6/27/10 11:49 PM, Ron Szoke wrote:
> Here's a little of the sort of thing I was looking for.  As usual, there is a component of
> class conflict.  Compare N. Ireland, Ruanda.
>
> Note that you may have to splice the long URL back together.
>
> ** Crumbling community trust in Kyrgyzstan  **
> The BBC's Rupert Wingfield Hayes reports on the background to Kyrgyzstan's ethnic
> tensions.
> <  http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10428617.stm>
>

> -- Ron

believed to be clean.