[Peace-discuss] Chomsky on New American Imperialism

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Tue Jun 29 00:08:55 CDT 2010

Yes but bracket these causes or causal factors and then ask what conditions
existed which allowed for and supported the existence and strength of said
bracketed causal factors.  I believe that the conditions and factors upon
which such causal factors arose and came into play no longer exist for the
reasons that I cited and have to wonder if there is anything under current
conditions that stand a chance of generating the same sorts of causal
factors and supporting (1) a strong and effective resistance to an American
invasion and occupation which would make an over-bureaucratized, high tech,
establishment leadership take any real notice and have a significant effect
on their assessments of cost-benefits, (2) generate a revolt of a
non-conscript military made up of "true believing" volunteers who believe
"my country right or wrong" and "with the white Christian god on our side
against the heathens" or a revolt of hired mercenaries under contract to
private corporations hired by the US Government to do what the conscripted
military of the Viet Nam days did, or (3) the reaching of a conclusion by 70
% of the public that the US Government's actions in the Middle East and
elsewhere as "fundamentally wrong, immoral, or unwarranted" rather than a
mistake or miscalculation in strategy or tactics that has become too
financially costly to the American public to finance any longer or over an
extended haul.

In short, I regard the causal factors mentioned to be surface structure and
ask if that or a similar surface structure has the grounding in
sub-structural conditions to support or sustain the generation of or
continued existence of a surface structure of causal factors similar to that
of the Viet Nam period.