[Peace-discuss] referendum time: Afghanistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 4 18:40:38 CST 2010

The Illinois legislature, deeply offended by the notion that people were
expressing their opinions on public questions like this, has made it nearly
impossible to do so.

Maybe we should start with our state senators and representatives: go to their
offices and ask why they thought to right to prevent public expressions of
opinion. --CGE

Robert Naiman wrote:
> Isn't it about time to think about referenda for the fall election?
>
> Here's an idea: propose a reasonable-sounding yet meaningful
> referendum on ending the war in Afghanistan, ask Johnson and Gill to
> endorse it, try to get 70% of the vote.
>
> For example: "Congress should establish a timetable for the withdrawal
> of all U.S. military forces from Afghanistan."

believed to be clean.