[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [sf-core] Rise in Right-Wing Extremism

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Tue Mar 9 22:46:57 CST 2010

I think perhaps the most interesting thing about the Tea-party movement is that
it scares our political class* - represented by the 'major' parties - to death.

La Grande Peur received magisterial expression in a column by Frank Rich in the
Sunday NYT on 2/28, "Axis of the Obsessed and Deranged." It was brought to the
attention of the peace-discuss list by Awareist David Green, and Alex Cockburn
rightly described Rich's effort as "vibrant with class hatred."

Class, the issue that the American political establishment wants at all cost to
suppress, is raised by the Tea-partiers. That is their unforgivable sin, and for
that right-thinking pundits of the Right and the Left are frenziedly trying to
cast them outside the the brightly-lighted limits of allowable debate.

I mean of course class in an economic sense, as the term has been employed for
almost two centuries.  Class is one of the notions "over against which we are
rightly critical, but without which we cannot do" (to quote the critic Erich
Heller from memory). It denotes a common role in the process of the production
of the necessities of life - food, clothing, shelter.  It's fairly easy to
distinguish slaves from slave-owners in the ancient world, and serfs (who were
not slaves) from feudal lords in the medieval - but it gets more difficult in
the modern world (in part because the mechanisms of capitalism are occult,
unlike earlier processes of production).

James Madison, its architect, said that the purpose of the 1787 constitution was
to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority.  The genius of the
American system is not to let on - and the Tea-partiers are about the blow the
gaff! (a phrase I've always wondered about: what's a gaff?).

There's some suggestion it's already well under way. Last month a Rasmussen poll
  showed that just 21% of voters nationwide believe that the federal government
enjoys the consent of the governed, while 70% believe that the government and
big business typically work together in ways that hurt consumers and investors;
and those with lower incomes overwhelming reject the notion that today’s
government has the consent from which to derive its "just authority" (as
Jefferson said).

As inequality increases at an accelerating pace in America, the comparisons to
Weimar Germany are not wrong. An ever-increasing number of Americans are coming
to realize that they are being conned by a political elite whose interests are
not only different from but directly opposed to theirs. That's what's happening
to the Tea-partiers, I think, and - as in Weimar - the outcome could go in quite
different directions.

_____________
* "The concept of political class is a classical notion in political sociology.
 From its invention by Gaetano Mosca - who used it largely synonymously to
'ruling class' - to the present day it has been used in a variety of theoretical
contexts, with slightly different meanings and vastly different implications.
Also it has been much more widely used in some countries (especially in Southern
Europe) than in others where it is largely unknown (in the Anglo-Saxon countries
and in Scandinavia)." My first approximation for the present-day US is those
who've gone to good colleges - the "tertiary [i.e., not secondary or
high-school] bourgeoisie" - about 20% of the population. --CGE

believed to be clean.