[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] couple things

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 13 10:26:13 CST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 08:51:24PM -0600, C. G. ESTABROOK wrote:
> It is certainly "a bit perverse" to assert that the present administration
> represents any improvement over that last in, say, the matter of killing
> people.

I don't think we need to claim that to find Rove thoroughly worthy
of demonstrating against.

Rove is one of the principal political architects of support for the
wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  And he has not changed his tune.
The Obama administration has not shown that kind of grand initiative --
they owe a heavy debt to the previous admin.

For some fun, check out recent Doonesbury strips (doonesbury.com),
which involve helicopters, the CIA, and an Afghan wedding party, but
not in the usual tragic way.  It also includes Trudeau's favorite
quotes from recent news, and here's the current one:

    "I'm proud that we used techniques that broke the will of these
    terrorists... I'm proud that we kept the world safer than it was,
    by use of these techniques." -- Karl Rove on waterboarding

If John Yoo came to town, would we refrain from demonstrating about
his presence on the grounds that he wasn't part of the current administration?
How short are our memories supposed to get?

During the Bush administration I didn't see AWARE, at least, as
a specifically anti-Republican action group, and I don't see us as a
specifically anti-Democratic one now.  We're a peace group.

   Stuart

believed to be clean.