[Peace-discuss] march 20

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 14 23:36:45 CDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 05:57:10PM -0500, Susan Jones wrote:
> I'm trying to find info about what's happening next Saturday - the AWARE
> website seems to have been last updated in August.  I had picked up a flier
> yester day at the open house... thought about putting it up places but now
> I'm thinking that publicity isn't desired since it's awfully hard to find
> anything.
>
> --
> Sue J, webmastress
> http://www.resourceroom.net
> http://bicycleuc.wordpress.com

Hi.  Yes, aware needs a live webmaster.  (Can anyone take this on?)
Pending that we've been using e-mail and facebook:

    "AWARE of Champaign Urbana Illinois"
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=305897426305

Curious -- what did your flyer say?  I've been out of the loop for recent
planning for this event, including missing yesterday's meeting at the IMC,
so your information will be more up-to-date than mine.

That said, here is my impression:

   On March 20th, the US will have been occupying Iraq for seven years.
   This is worth a demonstration.  Many groups around the country are
   demonstrating on or around that date.  (We'll also have a demonstration on
   5pm March 18th, at the Alma Mater on campus, while UofI students are still in town.)

   By coincidence, on 3/20 Karl Rove will be in Champaign, on a book tour.
   He'll speak at a Champaign County Republican fundraiser at the I-Hotel,
   on south First St., just south of the Assembly Hall.

   We should welcome him, remembering his role in promoting the wars,
   torture of prisoners, and other crimes -- many of which crimes are
   continuing under the current administration.   We'll be there with protest signs,
   and so will Campaign for Better Health Care, Jobs with Justice, and other
   groups, who have their own messages for the assembled notables.

   Time & Place: I *think* we're aiming to gather around 11:30am
   in the Assembly Hall parking lot, and head south to the I-hotel.

If someone on peace-discuss knows more please speak up!

   Stuart

believed to be clean.