[Peace-discuss] Ch 3 News said Kiwane was shot "during a struggle"...

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 10:21:19 CDT 2010

Karen,I just reread the report released by Julia Rietz. Testimony from the officers looks as if the "struggle" stuff was inserted after the fact. There was this from the pathologist to suggest that this was the case:Dr. Scott Denton, MD, Forensic Pathologist, performed the
autopsy on October 10, 2009.  A
toxicology screen was run, the results of which indicated that Carrington had
THC in his system, indicating recent marijuana use.  Dr. Denton determined cause of death to be a
gunshot wound of the left arm with reentry into the chest, with the direction
of the wound to be left to right, front to back, and downwards.  Dr. Denton observed no evidence of close
range firing.  In a follow up phone
conversation, Dr. Denton indicated that he defines close range firing as less
than 18 to 24 inches, that he saw nothing obvious to suggest close range
firing, but that he conducted no tests on Carrington’s clothing to for the
presence of soot or gunpowder residue.
Such tests would be necessary to further determine the range of the
weapon.Conspicuously absent from the report was anything negative in Norbit's record, specifically that this was the second death he was responsible for. I haven't been following the most recent reports, but hopefully he hasn't been allowed to return to work?I hope last night's meeting was productive and that the result will be a Champaign Citizen's Police Review Board. --Jenifer