[Peace-discuss] While you weren't looking -- S. 3801

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 18 19:16:07 CDT 2010

I have no brief for Rove or the previous administration, who in a well-run
society would be in jail.

I do think that a demonstration against the previous administration now, when
they're out of office, has the effect, innocently or not, of directing attention
away from the fact that the current administration is guilty of the same or
worse crimes, which are still going on.

In fact, one of the sponsors of tomorrow's demo declared any equation between
the two "perverse."

Robert Naiman wrote:
> I never expected you to become a Karl Rove apologist, Karl.
>

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:36 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:
>> Gotta be Karl Rove's fault...
>>
>> Karen Capel wrote:
>>> S. 3801 http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3081
>>>
>>> One resource: http://www.nolanchart.com/article7511.html [...]Now there is
>>> JihadJane, JihadJamie and a myriad of other American citizens being
>>> brought
>>> to the vanguard of mainstream media. You can do five minutes of research
>>> and
>>> see how most of these people are mentally diminished fruit cakes who
>>> couldn't
>>> blow up an ant bed in their front yard, much less pose any threat
>>> whatsoever
>>> to the American people. But the media and the government do not care about
>>> these facts. They use these "domestic terrorists" to incite irrational
>>> fear
>>> in the populace in order to pass legislation detrimental to the
>>> Constitution,
>>> such as the "Enemy Belligerent Interrogation, Detention, and Prosecution
>>> Act
>>> of 2010" as currently proposed by Senators McCain and Lieberman. This is
>>> the
>>> most daunting piece of legislation that this country has ever seen. It
>>> removes the right to a trial for American Citizens and gives the
>>> government
>>> the authority to detain American Citizens indefinitely for "suspected
>>> terrorist activity." The legislation states that any citizen could be an
>>> "Enemy Belligerent" if you are of "potential intelligence value" or in
>>> "matters as the President considers appropriate." WHAT??!! How chilling is
>>> that? The President can deem anyone he wants to as an Enemy Belligerent
>>> and
>>> have them "detained" with no rights, no trial, indefinitely. [...]
>>>
>>> Nice, huh?
>>>
>>> Karen
>>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.