[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: Re: [lbo-talk] why liberal Dems are absolutely useless or worse]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 19 21:03:24 CDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 05:40:56PM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> [Re-posted from Doug Henwood of Left Business Observer.]
>

> An impressive list of reasons why this bill sucks and should fail:
>
> http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/03/19/fact-sheet-the-truth-about-the-health-care-bill/
>

> Interesting thing I didn't know: though the bill says that inscos
> shouldn't drop people because they got sick, there is no enforcement
> mechanism if they do. And 30 million people will be *forced* to buy
> this crap.

Thanks for posting this, Carl.  *this* is the kind of news I read peace-discuss for.

It does look grim.

If this bill does fail, I wonder whether there'd be energy to go for
the Plan B mentioned in the Fire Dog Lake piece, with its expansions
of Medicare and SCHIP?  It does sound as though it could be more popular
than the current plan, even though its scope is smaller.

I don't know what David Gill, who's obviously very interested in health care
reform (and a member of Physicians for a National Health Plan), thinks of
the current bill.  He has said that he would vote against the Senate's bill,
and disagrees with the main-line Democrats' line that it's now-or-never --
as he sees it, the pressure for effective health care reform will only keep
increasing, and the issue is not going away.

believed to be clean.