[Peace-discuss] Obama and torture

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 19 22:13:38 CDT 2010

[The Obama administration claims to have stopped torture.  There seems to be no
reason to believe them.  --CGE]

	The Terrifying World of Pakistan’s ‘Disappeared’
	Posted on Mar 19, 2010
	By Robert Fisk
	This article was originally printed in The Independent.

If you want to know how brutally Pakistan treats its people, you should meet
Amina Janjua. An intelligent painter and interior designer, she sits on the vast
sofa of her living room in Rawalpindi—a room that somehow accentuates her
loneliness—scarf wound tightly round her head, serving tea and biscuits like the
middle-class woman she is. And although neither a soldier nor a policeman has
ever laid a hand on her, she is a victim of her country’s cruel oppression.
Because, five years ago, her husband Masood became one of Pakistan’s “disappeared”.

It is a scandal and a disgrace and, of course, a crime against humanity. Ask not
where Masood Janjua has gone—Amina does ask, of course, all the way up to the
President—for he has entered that dark world wherein dwell up to 8,000 of
Pakistan’s missing citizens, men, for the most part, seized from their homes or
from the streets by cops and soldiers on the orders of spies and intelligence
agents and Americans since 11 September, 2001. In Lahore alone, there are 120
“torture houses” just for the missing of the Punjab. Their shrieks of pain from
the basements could be heard by residents—who complained only that the buildings
might provoke bomb attacks. In Pakistan today, preservation counts for more than
compassion.

Masood Janjua was 44 when he was “disappeared” on 30 July 2005. He ran an IT
college and a travel agency, the father of two boys—Mohamed and Ali, and a girl,
Aisha. He just never came home. Nobody saw what happened. Amina, who was 40 at
the time, glows when she speaks of him. “We were so extremely close, so happy,
our world was so heavenly—we were always visiting friends, having parties at
home. He was so caring and kind to our children, so affectionate. That he should
be taken from me! I think it was a very big mistake that they did. But when they
do it—like this—they never say they were wrong.”

“They”. Everyone I talk to here talks about “they”. Many refuse to talk in case
it provokes “them” to undertake a quick execution. “They” is the Inter-Services
Intelligence. “They” is military intelligence. “They” are the Americans, some of
them present—according to the few “disappeared” who have been released—during
torture sessions. The Defence of Human Rights Pakistan (DHRP), the movement
which Amina founded with 25 other bereft families, has gathered evidence of
English-speaking interrogators who calmly ask victims questions during their
torment. Ironically, Amina lives in a military district of Rawalpindi, beside an
old British barracks, where US soldiers are observed in Pakistani
uniforms—sometimes female American soldiers dressed, so she says, in the
uniforms of Pakistani military paramedics.

Even more ironic was the first word she had of her husband after he disappeared.
“When I went to the Supreme Court to demand his return, witnesses came forward
to say they saw Masood inside an army barracks here in Rawalpindi, very close to
his family. Just think—it was within walking distance from our home! He was
inside a cell at 111 Brigade barracks. It was so sad for me—it was as if they
were being cynical, to keep him so close to his family.”

Amina Janjua found that one of the court witnesses lived in Peshawar and she
travelled to the North West Frontier Province to speak to him five months after
her husband disappeared. “He had been in the army facility in Rawalpindi. The
prisoners were kept in solitary confinement and only when they were taken to the
lavatory did they come close to other prisoners. They were forced to wear big
hoods—hoods that went right down and covered their shoulders—and the detainees
would get no chance to talk to another human being. This man said my husband was
there—he even heard the guard call him ‘Janjua’.”

There is evidence that Pakistan’s “disappeared” are moved around, between
barracks and interrogation centres and underground torture facilities in
different towns and cities. There are also terrible rumours—fostered, some say,
by the security authorities—that the army has thrown detainees from helicopters,
that the cops dispose of bodies at night by dumping them in swamps or in open
countryside so that decay and animal mutilation will cover the marks of torture
before the bodies are found. But Amina Janjua believes most of them are alive.
You might say she has to believe that.

“After 9/11, everyone was worried. People were ruthlessly disappeared after the
New York attacks. No one knew why their loved ones were taken. The first few
months were like hell for me. Then I regained my consciousness and said I could
not accept all this. I said I would fight. I said I would get my husband back.”
Brave words. Brave lady.

So she turned to the only brave institution still fighting in Pakistan: the
lawyers and the judges and the courts. So far, the Supreme Court in Islamabad
and the Lahore High Court have squeezed around 200 detainees out of the maw of
the country’s security apparatus—those, that is, who were still in Pakistan.
Many are known to have been freighted off to the tender mercies of the Americans
at Bagram in Afghanistan, where Arab detainees have long ago testified to being
beaten and sodomised with broom sticks. There have been prisoner murders, too,
in Bagram, the jail that President Barack Obama refuses to close.

“At the beginning, I went to the International Red Cross about Masood,” Amina
Janjua says. “I saw them over several months. There was no progress. My
father-in-law went to many people, he even went to President Musharraf—he
trained in the military with Musharraf and they knew each other very well—and
Musharraf said, ‘I will do something for you’—but he never did. After that, when
we called the President’s house, they would start avoiding us. We wrote to all
the Pakistan intelligence agencies. All said my husband could not be found.”

Many families have been given false hopes. “In some villages way out in the
country,” Amina recalls, “families were told by the authorities that their sons
were coming home. These were poor people but they were so happy, so delighted.
They would hold a party and give out sweets and slaughter valuable animals to
show their happiness. But then the sons didn’t come home. Can you imagine
treating people like this?”

Amina Janjua’s fraudulent hope came in a phone call in 2006, a year after
Masood’s disappearance. “We had our first breakthrough when the military
secretary of the President called Masood’s father to say that his son was alive
and that they had heard about him, though he had been ill—in a fever. That was
our first sign of relief.

“Then he started avoiding us again. There was no message after that. Then we
were told ‘No, he is not with us, but we are making every effort because the
President has made this request to help you.’ I went on asking senior people in
the army what had happened to my husband, and they—I put it like this—they
started shivering. They would shudder. They could not disclose any information.”

Teaching herself law and fighting her own case, Amina Janjua returned to the
Supreme Court. “When I did this, I started hearing of many other cases and
things that are happening. And that’s when I realised. It’s not about ‘missing’
people—this is about abduction. I started organising files on these abducted
people and eventually I had 788 families on my list and I started conducting
research. And we got about 200 prisoners released. The courts ordered this. They
were all still in Pakistan. Others, we know, had been taken to Bagram, three or
four to Guantanamo Bay where at least we knew they were alive.”

But Amina’s research could prove terrifying. She discovered not only that
abducted men were alive. They were also dead. “I suspected some of them had
died,” she said. “I know of three prisoners who are dead. One was Mohamed
Shafiq; he was a coach driver and they released his death certificate—it said he
died of ‘some illness’. He was in his 40s. One of the prisoners, a businessman
called Said Menon, died shortly after he was released.

“All of the 200 we got released had been tortured. Initially, it was very
ruthless—they were not allowed to sleep; there were beatings and thrashings;
they were hanged upside down. There was loud music. There were actual torture
rooms where the things were done to them. The prisoners told us they didn’t
think their torturers were human beings at all. The faces of the torturers, they
said, were horrifying. It was no longer a real world for them. The torturers
seemed so powerful, like monsters, so big.”

The questions they were asked were repetitive, according to Amina Janjua. Where
are the guns? Where are the weapons? Where is Mullah Omar? Two prisoners
described to Amina’s committee how they were made to wear orange jumpsuits,
shaven till they were bald and taken for questioning to Islamabad. “They were
interrogated by foreigners—they could see them. They were English-speaking. They
didn’t know if they were Americans or British.”

The DHRP now holds public protests in all the cities of Pakistan where the
prisoners have their homes—in Lahore, Sagoda, Quetta, Faisalabad, Karachi,
Peshawar—but the families focus on Islamabad where they demonstrate their fury
and their anguish outside the Supreme Court and the offices of President Asif
Ali Zardari and the Prime Minister, Yousuf Raza Gilani. The DHRP files show that
there are 1,700 missing from Baluchistan alone. At least 4,000 appear to be in
the hands of the Pakistani interior ministry, while 2,000 have been handed over
to what the DHRP describes as “foreign agencies”—usually, the Americans. Perhaps
750 of the missing Pakistanis are believed to have been taken by the
Americans—illegally, of course—to Bagram, the Policharki prison outside Kabul,
or to Herat in western Afghanistan.

	###

believed to be clean.