[Peace-discuss] Fw: [cchcc-l] Saturday's Health Reform Update &Take Action!

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Sun Mar 21 17:22:25 CDT 2010

 CCHCC feels that, despite all its limitations (which are too numerous to
 mention and quite profound), it is the best that we can get; and it will
 help a large number of their clients.  I, for one, seriously question that
 assessment given that the devil is in the details of how it is going to be
 interpreted and implemented and not in the written details of the bill
 itself as well as its lack of any real enforcement provisions.

 For example, there is nothing in the bill that I can tell which establishes
 a standardized set of criteria and methods that  (1) define the
underwriting
 policies and decisions that an insurance company makes regarding individual
 claims, which currently are deemed by the companies as proprietary so as to
 be kept from customers and state regulators;  (2) no provisions for making
 said policies, criteria, and processes transparent and challengeable
 non-proprietary information; and (3) no provisions for monitoring,
 enforcing, or punishing non-compliance with said stipulated provisions.  It
 does no good if insurance companies can establish and implement their own
 secret proprietary rules, criteria, methods, procedures, and practices
which
 they then use to deny claims and reject the full payment of the claims of
 claimants.  It is meaningless to have a set of statute driven standards and
 criteria if regulators have no authority to control, monitor, and enforce
 them on a practical everyday basis with respect to their implementation in
 daily organizational practices.

believed to be clean.