[Peace-discuss] Saturday's Health Reform Update &Take Action!

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:41:47 CDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Karen Medina <kmedina67 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes it feels like we are a small group of people trying to push a
> huge boulder* up a steep mountain.
>
> With a small movement of the boulder in any direction, some of those
> pushing will fall away. The rest who want to keep pushing have to regain
> good footing and push some more.

A very good, Sisyphean metaphor.  You've also got the folks who say, "Why
should I be pushng this boulder up the mountain when it's so hard and I'm so
ambivalent about it anyway?  I've got mine!"

> But it makes me wonder how other things happened so quickly: like the "no
> child left behind" and the "patriot act" and the "clean air act"?

A most excellent question.  The Patriot Act was aided by the irrational fear
created by and in the aftermath of 9/11.  I don't know why the other two
were so uncontroversial.  The education of children, like health care,
affects quite a number of Americans in a very direct way.

>  Okay, thanks to this discussion, I am getting over the first mourning
> stage of denial and almost ready to move to the next stage.
>
> -karen medina
>
> *The boulder is the elected officials, the political parties, and it is our
> fellow countrypeople.

believed to be clean.