[Peace-discuss] [Discuss] Fw: What hath got rot?

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:31:42 CDT 2010

Melodye writes:

"It never ceases to amaze me how some of the biggest critics (on every
subject) coming out of the shadows have done---- what?"

Precisely, Melodye.

Some pretext is generally behind this lack of accomplishment. A "Christian"
pretext is that because of Original Sin it is not possible for a person to
do good. A "Marxist" pretext is that the middle class will always prevent
political progress, which isn't possible because the middle class is not
yet destroyed. Market Fundamentalism supplies its own unsubstantiated
theology. But don't be fooled. These are just excuses to hold in contempt
those who do their part to leave the world better rather than worse. These
critics get off on contempt. They attempt to set up abusive relationships
with those who would do good.

On a slightly different subject, I confess I have never seen anything quite
so revolting as the Social Darwinian arguments coming from opponents of the
efforts of our first black President and our first woman Speaker. (Their
race and gender have nothing to do with this, right?) In the Gilded Age, it
was seriously proposed that charity was vice, because it lessened the
pressure on those on the bottom to change their evil ways. And now the new
Gilded Age has arrived, with the same recycled pseudo-scientific nonsense,
that we all already get what we deserve.....

Bob

believed to be clean.