[Peace-discuss] Fw: Fwd: CNN HCR poll

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 23 19:54:27 CDT 2010

Yes.  We don't know what someone really means when s/he says black.  Or white.

  "If I tell someone 'Stand roughly here'--may not this explanation work
perfectly? And cannot every other one fail too?
  "But isn't it an inexact explanation?--Yes; why shouldn't we call it
'inexact'? Only let us understand what "inexact" means. For it does not mean
'unusable'."
	--Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations I.88

Laurie Solomon wrote:

>> That is bull Carl.  Something can be seen as too liberal but still find it
>> acceptable considering other alternatives to favor it despite its being too
>> liberal for ones tastes and druthers.  We are again engaged in a semantics
>> game.  In point of fact, it is pure speculation what the findings of that
>> poll really mean, what their significance is, or the sampling and polling
>> methodology used was so as to determine what might or might not be
>> artifacts of the methods.  Can you or anyone else document and
>> definespecifically what the respondents considered "liberal" to mean when
>> answering questions that probably asked them to classify themselves in
>> categories that the pollster labeled using the term liberal in the label in
>> accordance with the pollsters definition and use of the term, which is left
>>  unspecified?
>>
>> The same can be said about polls and claims made as to the publics position
>> on the wars and on foreign policy.  Nowhere does anyone give or cite any
>> specifics or evidence as to exactly what the respondents mean by "against
>> the war" or "in support of the war" when they answer polls and interviews.
>> Being in support or against something is not an all or nothing proposition;
>> there are levels and degrees of support and opposition as well as varying
>> conditions under which differing strength of feelings and degrees fo
>> support or non-support apply.  It may be a black and white issue for you;
>> but it probably is not for many of the unwashed populace. Again the same
>> holds for the issues of racism, ethinc biases, religious intolerance, and
>> sexist prejudices.

>> <galliher at illinois.edu> Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 10:44 PM To: "John W."
>> <jbw292002 at gmail.com> Cc: "Peace-discuss List"
>> <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Fwd: CNN
>> HCR poll
>>
>>> Come on, John.  Favor + too liberal is a contradiction (if it's "too
>>> liberal," you don't favor it); favor + not liberal enough is not.

believed to be clean.