[Peace-discuss] [Discuss] Fw: What hath got rot?

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Tue Mar 23 20:52:35 CDT 2010

It's hard to make sense of this statement, but it seems to be praise for our
chief magistrate.  As such, it seems to be an example of what some
psychoanalysts call "identification with the aggressor."

Sticking to political as opposed to psychological analysis, it's clear that the
health "reform" enacted by the current administration is substantially to the
right of that offered by the Nixon administration (and torpedoed by Democrats).
  Here's what the Nixon administration was talking about a generation ago:
<http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2009/September/03/nixon-proposal.aspx>.

In terms of effect (as opposed to the personal commitments of leading members)
the Nixon administration was clearly the most liberal administration since WWII,
from the EPA to the negative income tax. It was driven to be so, against its
will, by the accumulated political demands of "the sixties."  It took a major
counterattack by capital, under the name "neoliberalism," beginning in the
Carter administration, to roll it back.

Nixon in the early 1970s proposed to reform welfare by replacing it with a
guaranteed annual income; Clinton reformed it by abolishing AFDC. "Only Nixon
could go to China"; only Clinton could destroy welfare.

Today's Democratic Party, on economic policy and social welfare policy at least,
is well to the right of the Republican Party during the days of Nixon and Ford.
In fact the entire political spectrum in the US has shifted far to the right,
such that the liberal/left would be ecstatic if even single-payer could ever be
established here.

That's the result of 30 years of reaction: we frogs think the water is quite
temperate, thank you.  Try not to notice that real wages have not risen in
America in that time.

Melodye Rosales wrote:
> Impossible to please everyone---Bush bankrupt us for 8 years straight---so we
> are trying to tackle an ambitious and financially expensive task----even if
> we are doing it one dime at a time!
>
> To echo those poor souls who were victims of the Stockholder's Bean Counter
> approach to the Health Care industry,
>
> /"CHANGE is never perfect. It's always gonna have its critics, Monday night
> quarterbacks, and when one thing doesn't go as planned---you're gonna have
> your share of "I told you so, you so'n'so"  But Thank the Lawd we have
> somebody willin' to take on Goliath! Somebody who is willing to try something
> different because they see the suffering getting worse--- not better.
>
> Thank the Lawd almighty that we might  get at least one good clasp on the
> monopoly that has been insulating the Health Care industry, keeping us from
> pull it apart ----just enough---- to open the possibility for fair trade and
> competition.  Then--just maybe---we will encourage enough David's to step
> forward, enabling them to gain access to the support needed to maintain and
> sustain alternative venues for citizens of the most powerful country in the
> world to have the medical means to finally live long enough to enjoy the
> fruits of their work in this Land of Plenty. GOD BLESS AMERICA and my
> President, Obama!!!" /
>
> So, my trillion dollar question, "Who, before President Obama, was able or
> willing to provide a plan to include the 'have nots'? And, though the Health
> Care Bill is not a perfect piece of legislation, give me one that is, one
> that has gone this far to include a mass of people regardless of age, gender,
> economics, religion, political party affiliation or ethnicity?  Who?"
>
> It never ceases to amaze me how some of the biggest critics (on every
> subject) coming out of the shadows have done---- what?
>
> I, for one, am so tired of the endless critics who cast blame and carry no
> sustainable solutions.
>
> Even locally, though I know most of you and believe you accomplish a
> tremendous amount of good and goodwill--------I am still waiting for the
> demonstrations and forums associated with, to stop being the end all answer
> to every inequitable problem and voter education and voter drives to become
> the new wave mantra, motivator, and means to exercise the voices of change to
> CHANGE the system into a more equitable playing field------right inside
> Champaign County. Not just during the voting season---but year 'round.  Let's
> start here.  The place where we live. We need registered voters who actually
> vote. We need to get them to the polls.  That is where CHANGE truly begins
> and ends.
>
> -Melodye

believed to be clean.