[Peace-discuss] Fw: Fw: Fwd: CNN HCR poll

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Tue Mar 23 22:58:56 CDT 2010

I would expect no less than this sort of academic pedantic response from an
arrogant intellectual.  I am not going to get caught up in any sort of an
intellectual philosophical pissing contest to see who can quote the most
philosophers and cite the most statements from each of the quoted
philosophers in support of one's position.  Obviously to me, you are not
confident enough in your own articulations to say things in your own words
but have to depend on the words of other  well known authorities and
intellectuals with academic standing to articulate what you are trying to
argue and use their standing as authorities to credential your positions.

I may have a very bad and -some would say inarticulate - writing style and
ability to express myself; but at least what I do say or write is in my own
words and is not just a mere citing or quoting of others.

My point which you seem to have avoided is that the use of terms like
"liberal," "progressive," "good," "bad," etc. are umbrellas under which a
whole variety of very different and contradictory things may hide.  This if
a poll says that x number of people say that something is "too liberal" and
y number of people say it is "too conservative" or "not liberal enough," we
have no way of knowing if some of the individuals in those two groups are
objecting to the exact same things for the exact same reasons but are
classifying and calling those objections by different labels or if different
individuals within the same group are saying something is "too libera,l"
"not liberal enough," or "too conservative" for very different and opposite
reasons from each other.  The categorization process gives the appearance if
similarity, identity, and stability among the members with respect to their
use of the terms and the reasons for saying  that something is "too liberal"
or "too conservative;"  Hence, we cannot draw any literal meaning or
significance from the groupings except possible that x number of people in
one group use the "too liberal" or the "too conservative" expressions to
describe and categorize their complaints; and we certainly would be hard
pressed to draw any reliable and valid  or predictable conclusions as to
what the people in those groups substantively think or would do individually
or as a group.  Thus, in a practical sense, this information is not very
useful or usable (except as rhetoric and for political marketing and
propaganda reasons) without further more detailed specifics and background
information as to the substantive content behind the umbrella
typifications - e.g., why the individuals see something as being too liberal
or too conservative or not liberal enough and what they see as being too
liberal, not liberal enough, or too conservative.