[Peace-discuss] Israel and Aid…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 24 13:19:51 CDT 2010

I disagree.  Nader is a radical if we mean the word etymologically - someone who
goes to the root of a problem.  He's shown better than most the corruptions of
capitalism.  (Cf. Kucinich's embarrassing performance with him regarding
healthcare on Democracy Now.)

Those who think that Israel is 'deserving of support from the USA' (obviously
not you, me, or Ralph) think so because they think (a) Israeli government
policies are just and/or (b) Israeli government policies serve the US national
interest.

I think those policies have done great damage in the Mideast, most of which
would have been impossible - and would be impossible now - without US support.
But our government is not acting out of altruism, or because it has been misled.

And of course it's wildly hyperbolic to say that "until a few days ago, the U.S.
government had no levers over the Israeli government." --CGE

Morton K. Brussel wrote:
> I think your questions are all irrelevant to what Nader hopes to bring to the
> attention of the populace. He tries to show that Israel is undeserving of
> support from the USA.  Nader is not the radical you would want him to be, but
> his heart is in the right place, and his ideas are worth considering. Aside
> from this, he is appalled at what Israel policy has wreaked in the Middle
> East. You are prone to ignore all that.
>
> --mkb
>
> On Mar 24, 2010, at 12:21 AM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>
>> The questions are,
>>
>> [1] Is Israel diverting US policy makers from pursuing the national
>> interest?
>>
>> [2] Is the national interest as understood by US policy makers something to
>> be pursued?
>>
>> [3] Is the national interest so understood in fact in the interest of most
>> Americans?
>>
>> The answer to all three is, "No."
>>

>> === On Tue Mar 23 2010 Brussel Morton K. <mkbrussel at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Useful remarks to try to change the atmosphere… Nader clearly doesn't
>> believe that the U.S. head wagging the Israeli tail.
>>
>> Published on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 by CommonDreams.org Israel & Aid by
>> Ralph Nader [...]

believed to be clean.