[Peace-discuss] Medicare for all

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 27 08:58:52 CDT 2010

A general ethical comment was made about government policy that, surprisingly
enough, was applicable, as I pointed out.

And in fact the cost for the war and for health care are bound up with one
another.  The stimulative effect of the money spent on the war would have to be
obtained from other spending, if Obama stopped killing people in the Middle East.

Real health care (like education, infrastructure, etc.) would be a good candidate.

John W. wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu
> <mailto:galliher at illinois.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Obviously in the US today the principal person acting on the
>     assumption that "it
>     is OK to kill people in order to achieve some claimed long-term
>     benefit for
>     humanity" is Barack Obama.
>
>     Or don't people in the Middle East count?  --CGE
>

> They count, Carl, but we're not gonna cover 'em under Medicare/Medicaid,
> even if we pull our military out of Iraq and Afghanistan tomorrow.
> Apples and oranges, except insofar as the money wasted on war could be
> used to heal the sick.

believed to be clean.