[Peace-discuss] Ending imperial war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 30 09:59:05 CDT 2010

Although the polls show that a majority are opposed to the AfPak war, we haven't
reached the point where 70% regard the war as "fundamentally wrong and immoral,
not a mistake."

That's our failure as activists and an anti-war movement (and Obama supporters)
to make people AWARE of what the USG is doing.  The complete pacification of the
universities in the last generation helped, too.

We have a government determined not to repeat the propaganda mistakes of the
1960s - Obama sets that out explicitly in The Audacity of Hope and promoted
himself as the one to do it, as he has.  Co-opting the anti-war movement that
turned the public against the Vietnam war is his forte.

Of course the wars themselves are quite different.  SE Asia was never central to
US global politics, while there's nothing more important to US geopolitics that
Mideast energy.  And the Pentagon knows now to rely on mercenaries, not the
draft, to oppress foreigners.  Americans objected the last time.

Ricky Baldwin wrote:
> I think the answer lies in your last paragraph.
>
> Ricky
>
> "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn

believed to be clean.