[Peace-discuss] Big dog not barking in the night

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 19:31:15 CDT 2010

SPLC's Mark Potok, on DN today, importantly chooses not to mention that the Oklahoma City April 19th had something to do with the Waco April 19th, 2 years before. That would make the narrative too complicated. I think it's a real failing of Goodman's left that she relies on the SPLC, without context.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/3/30/rage_on_the_right_christian_militia

MARK POTOK: Well, there will be a huge march, and it really is ironic that they’ve chosen April 19th. I mean, this April 19th will be the fifteenth anniversary of the murder of 168 people in Oklahoma City. You know, naturally these groups describe it instead as the day the first shots were fired in Lexington, the first shots of the Revolutionary War.

You know, I think that what is coming up on April 19th very much represents the kind of cross-pollination we’re seeing among different sectors of the right. This is, nominally, at least, a Second Amendment march. But the reality is, is that a great many patriot groups, so-called, militia groups and so on, will be participating. In addition, across the river in Virginia, the local national park, there’s going to be a sort of subsidiary gun rights rally in which everyone comes armed. They have chosen this particular place because this is as close to Washington as they can get and openly carry both short weapons and long weapons. So, you know, I don’t know that we’re necessarily going to see anything bad happen on April 19th. I’m certainly not predicting that. But I think the symbolism of it occurring on the fifteenth anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing tells you a lot.

believed to be clean.