[Peace-discuss] new hampshire the free state

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun May 2 17:55:33 CDT 2010

I spent four years in New Hampshire while in college.  It is indeed a
wonderful state.  Marvelously scenic, excellent highways with NO billboards,
and no sales or state income tax as you say.  The town meeting I attended in
Meriden, NH was probably the closest thing to pure democracy I've ever
experienced.

However, I didn't have any need for government assistance of any kind while
I was living there.  I would probably have a different perspective on the
state now.

And unfortunately, New Yorkers discovered NH and Vermont in the 1970s and
1980s and bought most of the choice real estate for summer homes and ski
lodges.  Now an ordinary working person can't afford to live in most regions
of the two states, and a lot of natives who had lived there for generations
have had to sell their property and move due to inability to pay their
inflated real estate taxes.

You didn't mention real estate taxes, Wayne.  Nor did you mention the
extreme disparity of income/assets between rich and poor, which is easily as
obvious in New Hampshire as it is elsewhere in the nation.  New Hampshire is
a great, free state for the affluent.

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM, E.Wayne Johnson <ewj at pigs.ag> wrote:

>  It might be asked... how is this relevant to the peace discuss list?
>
> Well, for one thing, small governments dont have the ability to wage wars.
>
> And secondly, it has been questioned whether or not libertarian philosophy
> has any practical value for a society.
>
> Here are the "facts" on New Hampshire, the live free or die state, courtesy
> of Jason Erb, who is a Canadian living in Ontario.
>

>    - Ranked the most free state for the third consecutive year.
>    - No state income or sales tax, no general corporate state tax or tax
>    on machinery.
>    - The lowest per capita government spending of any state.
>    - The third-highest household income of any state.
>    - The lowest per capita crime rate of any state, and the fewest number
>    of police officers per capita.
>    - The governor can’t spend more than $5000 on anything without the
>    authorization of the executive council.
>    - Legislators only paid $100 a year and serve two-year terms.
>    - Open carry without a license and concealed carry on a “shall issue”
>    basis.
>    - No seatbelt or helmet law.

believed to be clean.