[Peace-discuss] Hello how ah ya.

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed May 5 04:20:08 CDT 2010

yes I have read one or two in the Flashman series but not that one.

I found Spence's book online and I can read at least part of it that way so I will take a look at it soon.

*

It is interesting how history repeats itself.  The Chinese insisted on getting payment
in gold and silver for the stuff they were selling the British, and they had little interest
in balancing the trade.  In the meantime the gold and silver of the British was being expended.
The Taipings were playing havoc with the opium trade, so the British had an economic and
financial interest in aiding their demise.

*

This particular history is interesting because it is a contemporary account
by authors living in Guangzhou at least part of the time and it is not yet known
how the whole matter will turn out.
HISTORY OF THE INSURRECTION IN CHINA;
WITH NOTICES OF THE CHRISTIANITY, CREED,
AND PROCLAMATIONS OF THE INSURGENTS.Joseph-Marie Callery , Melchior YvanBOMBAY : SMITH, TAYLOR & CO.
1854The book concludes with an appended account of an failed attempt by the Qings to retake Amoy (Xiamen) and these words:"The announcement of the fall of Pekin has been expected on the arrival of every mail for some time past and Canton (Guangzhou) has been in a state of great disquietude. However the capture of these two places seems to be reserved for a later chapter in the history of this wonderful revolution.  That the question is only one of time, and that theinsurgents will in the end become masters of the whole of China, is established beyondthe possibility of doubt."----- Original Message -----